Ten tips for a favourable fast.
- Nobody should be allowed to sleep in the same room as the faster.
- It is essential to keep noise to a minimum.
- The faster should be kept well away from the telephone.
- In order to avoid most noise it is advisable for the faster to wear rubber or plastic earplugs.
- Glare, even from sunlight is stressful to a faster - I recommend that a faster should wear an eye patch mask.
- Visitors should not be allowed unless specifically requested by the patient.
- Water should be near the faster at all times so they can drink when they feel inclined - Do not force the faster to drink at regular intervals.
- The faster should be sponged with tepid water twice daily.
- The faster should not be allowed to go to the toilet unless accompanied.
- Once the fast has commenced it is not necessary to keep taking the fasters temperature.
If these simple details are attended to the fast should be negotiated easily.