Babies & Sleepless Nights
It is often expected that the arrival of a newborn baby proclaims the horrors of yet another syndrome - sleepless nights.
This is yet another myth propagated by the medical fraternity - not the healthy maternity.
I can say unequivocally that a natural lifestyle produces perfect rest for both mother and baby - if the following simple pattern is established.
- The baby is put on a feeding schedule set up by the parents (who are supposedly in charge of the situation)
- The baby is not demand fed but is taught the natural feeding cycle based on the digestive cycle of the organism - (read as circadian rhythms)
- The mother should not get up to feed, change, or soothe the baby during the night - leave that to the father or partner. This allows the mother to get adequate rest which ensures that her milk is of the best quality.
- The baby does not sleep with the parents, either in the bed or even the same room - An infant can smell a lactating breast at 50 paces.
- Keep the baby on the breast as long as is possible - up to 2-3 years is natural.
- Do not feed the baby chemical formula or adult foods.
As a result:
- The baby does not gain excessive weight and develop colic, catarrh, constipation etc.
- There is harmony throughout the household and the baby is a joy.